South Sudan: ERT WASH Manager
9 March 2017 | Medair
View Original Posting
Provide leadership for Emergency Response Team (ERT) field sites and staff, including planning and conducting WASH (Water, Sanitation & Hygiene) assessments and interventions, creating work plans for emergency responses, ensuring quality implementation of WASH activities, line managing junior members of the ERT WASH team, and acting as team leader at ERT field sites. Provide cover for the WASH Project Manager role whenever requested.
The goal of the WASH ERT is to reduce morbidity and mortality among populations affected by acute emergencies through the provision of water, sanitation and hygiene promotion services. The Medair ERT works across all 28 states of South Sudan in response to acute emergencies: displacement due to conflict or disasters, returnee / refugee influxes, disease outbreaks and in emergency level malnutrition. The ERT has teams across four sectors – Health, Nutrition, Non-Food Items (NFIs) / Emergency Shelter and WASH, with teams often working together in field sites. Multiple emergency response sites are active at any given time.
Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Juba, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, 12 months
Key Activity Areas
Technical Design & Oversight
- Develop and manage work plans for field activities – regularly updating work plans and objectives to meet changing needs and gaps. Determine budget and timelines for activities.
- Oversee the technical design and implementation of the projects – including water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion activities.
- Support regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against ERT project indicators.
- Contribute to future plans for WASH activities and to related proposals and budgets.
Staff Management & Leadership
- Line manage junior WASH ERT staff, including WASH Technicians and Community Liaison Officers.
- Conduct appraisals, manage R&R and holiday schedules, manage contracts, provide development & training opportunities, and support the physical and spiritual well being for WASH staff.
- Daily management and supervision of additional re-locatable staff, locally hired staff, casual labourers and contracted workers when in field sites.
- Communicate additional HR needs to the WASH PM and HR team in Juba.
- When requested, act as the overall field site leader (for WASH and other teams), in charge of security and staff health issues, and overall coordination between teams.
Coordination & Reporting
- Take part in all WASH Coordination meetings in ERT field sites, and at national and state levels.
- Liaise with relevant WASH NGOs, UN agencies and government WASH offices (Rural and Urban Water) or other government agencies involved in WASH planning.
- Liaise with local authorities at the beginning of assessments and activities, and throughout WASH activities as appropriate.
- Provide a week-end report – detailing activity updates, work plan updates and materials needed.
- Complete assessments and intervention reports in a timely manner.
- Track beneficiary numbers and activities completed each month to aid in donor reporting.
- Monitor stock levels, and submit stock and purchase requests in a timely manner. Ensure an accurate record of all assets and stocks are maintained and circulated.
- Manage local procurement for all WASH items, with signing authority up to $2,000 USD. Complete logistics packages for all purchases over $1,000.
- Manage WASH team movements at field sites.
- Ensure cash requests are submitted in a timely manner, and that receipts and field expense reports are returned to Juba consistently and are in good order.
- Supervising the management of field team cash account, including the payment of casual labour payments within the agreed salary / incentive scales.
- Signing authority of up to $2,000 USD for procurement. Manage submission of all finance, stock and purchase requests to Juba, and manage WASH finances, procurement, warehousing, and transport.
- Provide security leadership in the field sites.
- Contribute to development of security assessments for new ERT locations before field teams travel.
- Ensure the WASH team adhere to SOPs – and promote good planning and communication within the team.
Field - Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Live, work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
Return to Jobs